Ingredient Name: Yellow beans, Peruano beans, canary beans,
Traditional Chinese Name: 黃豆 (Huángdòu) – literal translation of “yellow bean”
What is this?
- A type of common bean that is yellow (pale yellow or beige), roundish and oval in shape
- They are usually about 1cm in length and have a thick skin
- Very common in Asian and Mexican cuisines
- Used in dishes, stews, desserts and soups
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water
- Can be used in dishes or soups cut in larger pieces or as a whole stalk
- It is usually used in small amounts to enhance flavors
Where can I buy this?
- Available in wet marts in Hong Kong
- Also available prepackaged in supermarkets
What is the cost?
- Very affordable
- 40g cost around $5 HKD
- Excellent source of soluble fibre which can help eliminate cholesterol from the body
- Low in fat and high in protein
- High-potassium and low in sodium
- Helps eliminate excess moisture from the body
- For dried beans, be sure to thoroughly soak and cook as uncooked beans can cause indigestion