Soup Name: Wintermelon with Lotus Leaf and Corn in Pork Broth
Traditional Chinese Name: 冬瓜湯 (dōng guā tāng)
What Ingredients are required?
1 pound of pork shin or pork bones
1 slice of wintermelon, sliced with skin on
2 fresh corn, kernals sliced
70 g of fresh gingko bilobas
70 g dried lily seeds
1 large piece of fresh lotus leaf
2 L of water
salt to taste
How do I prepare it?
- Blanch pork in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes
- Drain pork and set aside
- Rinse wintermelon and slice with the skin on each piece
- (Optiona) Cut corn into large pieces or slice kernals from the cob
- Rinse gingko bilobas and lotus seeds into warm water
- Start to boil your soup water
- When your soup water is boiling, add all the ingredients together (including the kernal-less cobs)
- Boil on medium heat for 1 hour and set in a thermal pot for another 3 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
- This soup is excellent for cooling down the body and heat from hot summer days
- Women in their first trimester of pregnancy should avoid as it is an extremely cooling soup and may cause contractions
- Melon soups are best consumed within same day as keeping melon soups overnight or over an extended period will make the melons sour (and so will your soup!)