Ingredient Name: Candied winter melon, sugared winter melon, or candied gourd
Traditional Chinese Name: 糖冬瓜 (táng dōng guā)
What is this?
- Cooked and sugar coated winter melon
- The sugar is usually a glucose type substance that the melon is dipped in and allowed to dry
- A very common Asian snack
- Easily made at home
How do I prepare it?
- If you’re purchasing it premade, no preparation needed
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most Asian supermarkets
- It is also commonly sold in Asian “snack” stores that carry a variety of traditional Chinese snacks
- If you can’t find premade sugared winter melon, you can also consider making it
What is the cost?
- Extremely affordable
- A few pieces cost $2-3 HKD (as pictured above)
- Winter melons are known to remove heatiness and helps detoxify the body
- There are a variety of uses for candied winter melon (soups, stews, desserts or eaten as is)
- The sugar : melon ratio is quite high, meaning it’s high in sugars
- Consume in moderation