Soup Name: Winter Chicken Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 清雞湯 (qīng jī tāng)
Very similar to Chicken Herbal Soup, this soup contains some vegetables and fresh Chinese radish and is meant to be warming in the cold winter months. It is excellent for nourishing the lungs and adding moisture to the body when it is particularly dry. An excellent source of carbohydrates, you can add more vegetables as you see fit (mainly carrots, tomatos, celery, or neutral vegetables) to turn this into a hearty chicken broth.
What Ingredients are required?
- Prepare chicken (in quarters) by rinsing and blanching in a pot of hot water
- Boil your soup water
- Wash and soak for 10 minutes all the dried herbs
- Wash & peel fresh Chinese Yam (be sure to wear gloves) and cube as large as necessary
- Wash and chop corn
- When your soup water is boiling, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to low boil for another 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent warming soup for cold days
- Good to increase blood circulation and blood flow
- It is considered to be of the “healing” categories of soup
- If used for confinement, you can make the soup more concentrated (less water or more ingredients)
- Use less herbs for children