Ingredient Name: White pepper, white peppercorn
Traditional Chinese Name:甘草 (gān cǎo)
What is this?
- The seeds of the pepper plant that are spicy to taste and very small in size (around 1 cm in diameter on average)
- They differ from the black peppercorn in how they are processed
- Often used in light colored foods, though the Chinese use this very often in many dishes, soups, stews
- It is considered to be a warming ingredient
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse quickly in warm water
Where can I buy this?
- Peppercorn is available commonly in all supermarkets, although the white peppercorn may be more of a challenge to find
What is the cost
- Extremely affordable
- It is said to be anti-toxic and helps with digestion
- Helps with circulation
- Stimulates the appetite
- Contains a good amount of antioxidants (helps with anti-aging)
- Consume with moderation
- Its oils are a potential skin irritant when used in high concentrations