Soup Name: Water Chestnuts and Pork Spring Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 馬蹄豬湯 (matí zhū tāng)
With Spring just around the corner, this simple and hearty soup is a perfect way to welcome in the warming weather. This soup, along with a simple bowl of brown rice, served as dinner for my whole family, including our two-year old daughter. Water chestnuts add a delicious sweetness, a crunchy texture and creates a “cool” soup perfect for the season. Add in some hearty beans and vegetables to round out the meal.
What Ingredients are required?
How do I prepare it?
- If using pork bones, pre-marinate the pork with the salt and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight is best)
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Boil a separate pot to blanch pork
- Soak black beans and chinese mushrooms
- Chop chinese mushrooms into quarters or slices
- Wash, peel and cut carrots
- When water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil for at least 1 hour (longer if you wish the snow fungus softer)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Water Chestnuts are a relatively cooling food and can help relieve coughs
- Pork contains many nutrients (including 6 essential vitamins) and is a good source of iron, zinc, Vitamin B6 and protein
- Black beans are an excellent source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, iron, manganese and high quality protein
- An easy, hearty and nutritious soup!