Soup Name: Vegetarian Pumpkin and Bean Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 七色素湯 (Qīsè sù tāng)
A bean-filled vegetarian soup that packs a punch in proteins. With seven different types of “beans”, it is a hearty meal that is easy to make and light to drink. By adding a Japanese pumpkin, it makes it slightly sweet and refreshing. The soup itself is very clear and slightly sweet. You can also add other vegetables such as corn, carrots, and onions to make it an even heartier broth.
What ingredients are required?
1 whole Japanese pumpkin, largely sliced with skin
20 g white kidney beans
30 g red/white multi-colored kidney beans
40 g red kidney beans
40 g black-eyed beans
40 g dried chickpeas
40 g black beans
40 g yellow beans
5-6 dried Chinese mushrooms
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Soak all the beans, chickpeas and Chinese mushrooms in water for at least 5 hours
- Pour out the water in which the beans soak and rinse with fresh water
- Boil your soup water
- Wash and half Japanese pumpkin, removing seeds and inner membrane
- Slice into large pieces while keeping the skin (it keeps the pumpkin meat intact while the soup boils and prevents it from disintegrating)
- When you soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes and reduce to a simmer boil for another 1 hour
- Serve and enjoy! Be sure to also eat the contents as its very healthy!
- This soup is naturally sweet and high in beta-carotene
- Soup is low in fat and high in proteins
- Excellent source of dietary fibers
- The beans are great for absorbing moisture and are perfect for the wet spring season
- Soak the beans in water for at least 5 hours before usage (and discard soaked water) – rinse beans with fresh water before usage
- Boil in water at least 100 °C for at least 10 minutes before consumption as raw/uncooked red kidney beans are toxic