Wind Weed Rhizome
Ingredient Name: Zhi mu, Wind weed rhizome, windweed rhizome, anemarrhenae asphodeloidis, anemarrhena rhizome
Traditional Chinese Name: 知母肉 (Zhī mǔ ròu) or 知母 (Zhī mǔ)
What is this?
- Commonly known Chinese medicine
- The extracted and dried fibrous roots of a perennial herb called Anemarrhena
- The roots are slightly brownish yellow to brown in color and often string (or hairy)
- It is slightly bitter to taste and classified as cold (or cooling)
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse well in warm water
Where can I buy this?
- Available in Chinese herbalist or specialty stores
- Sometimes available in HK wet marts
What is the cost?
- Relatively affordable
- This herb targets the lung, stomach and kidneys
- Helps are removing internal heat (or heatiness)
- Excellent for relieving symptoms of coughs, dry coughs and constipation
- Often used in medicine combination for people with asthma or shortness of breath
- Aids in sleep and relaxing tension
- As it is a cooling ingredient, pregnant women in their first trimester should take caution as cooling ingredients cause contractions
Any additional information?
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Can store up to 3 months in a sealed container