Ingredient Name: Watermelon
Chinese Name: 西瓜 (xī guā)
What is this?
- Fruit and plant of a vine-like herb
- The fruit is sometimes classified as a melon
- It is normally round with a smooth exterior rind usually in green and yellow and has a juicy, pulpy interior that is sweet and ranges in color from red, yellow, orange or pink
- It is used in a variety of desserts, drinks, and often eaten raw
How do I prepare it?
- Halve the watermelon
- Slice away the skin or rind
- Cube into large cubes
Where can I buy this?
- In any supermarket
What is the cost?
- Watermelon varies depending on size and season, however averages around $3-7 CAD/watermelon
- Watermelons contain 6% sugar by weight
- They are high in Vitamin C and a good source of carbohydrates
- Watermelons are very concentrated in their water content, coming in at around 91-92% in water weight
- Watermelons are known to be an extremely “cooling” food
- Women who are pregnant or menstruating should take caution when consuming watermelon
- It is actually forbidden in Chinese culture to consume watermelon if a women is less than 3 months pregnant as the watermelon may trigger premature contractions which lead to miscarriages or premature birth