Chinese Pumpkin with Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup
The name is quite interesting because I learned about this soup from my vegetable vendor in the wet mart in Hong Kong. The 3 (三 – sān) implies 3 keys vegetables ingredients, that being: Chinese pumpkin, sweet potato and tomatos. The base of this soup is rich in vitamins, extremely sweet and a neutral soup for the whole family to drink. You can add other ingredients to this vegetable soup pending your creativity and physical needs.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Total time: 105 mins
Serves: 6 bowls
- Boil your soup water
- Blanch pork in boiling water
- Cut up pumpkin, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and onions into large cubes
- In a shallow pan, quickly fry the onions (optional step, but it really enhances the flavour of the onions in the soup)
- When water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes, reduce to simmer for another hour.
- Serve and enjoy!