Black Glutinous Rice
Ingredient Name: Black glutinous rice, glutinous rice, black sticky rice, wax rice, sweet rice, pearl rice
Traditional Chinese Name: 黑糯米 (Hēi nuòmǐ)
What is this?
- A type of short-grained Asian rice that becomes sticky when cooked
- It is relatively dense compared to other varieties of rice
- This rice has a long history with the Chinese (as far back as 2,000 year) and has many usages in Asia
- The black colour is either a different strain of glutinous rice or is the rice that still contains its bran
- Its usage is in desserts, with dim sum, as a meal with meats and vegetables or in soups (although not so commonly)
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water and use
Where can I buy this?
- In most supermarkets, health food stores or speciality stores
- Available at wetmarts in Hong Kong
- You can buy them prepackaged or in the volume you want from the vendors
What is the cost?
- It is very affordable with a few dollars for a few grams
- Gluten free rice that is ideal for gluten-free diets
- As with all starches, consume in moderation
- Store in a dry, cool container away from open air and moisture
- You can store cooked glutinous rice in the fridge for up to 5 days and frozen in your freezer for up to 6 months