Spica Prunellae Healing Drink
Soup Name: Spica Prunellae Healing Drink
Traditional Chinese Name: 夏枯草涼茶 (xià kūcǎo liáng chá)
An extremely cooling drink that is ideal in the hot summer, for cooling the body, clearing heatiness and helping conditions such as acne, eye infections, and cold sores. It can be served cold or hot (although tastes much better cold in my opinion) and is very refreshing. Although slightly bitter in taste, adding rock sugar to it makes it quite delicious. It’s definitely an acquired taste to enjoy, but the Chinese love it and it’s pretty commonplace. I usually keep a jug of this in my fridge!
What Ingredients are required?
40g of yellow beans
50g of dried spica prunellae
50g of dried chrysanthemum flower
rock sugar (to taste)
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Boil water
- Rinse ingredients in warm water (except rock sugar)
- When water boils, add all ingredients together
- Boil for an hour on medium heat
- Strain ingredients from liquid
- Add rock sugar and let dissolve
- Cool in fridge or with ice (optional)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent soup for relieving heatiness
- Helps relieve symptoms of sunstroke and heatstroke
- People with sensitive stomachs (otherwise known as cold stomachs) should avoid overly cooling herbs
- Pregnant woman in their first trimester take caution as cooling soups can cause contractions