Soup Name: Easy one pot cabbage and sukiyaki pork in soup for dinner This soup is slightly cooling because of the cabbage. For more videos, visit us on YouTube.Looking for a simple, healthy, easy-to-make Chinese soupy dinner? I've found one! If you love napa...
Quick Boil Chinese Soup Tips
Quick Boil Chinese Soup Tips
So I’ve had various enquiries as to what constitutes a great quick boil and what are some tips I use for quick boils. It started out as a conversation with a colleague who said “I don’t have time to make these old fire Chinese soups!”, and I thought, well… there is a whole repertoire of quick boils soups available, why don’t I show my readers some and demonstrate just how easy and simple Chinese soups can be?
As a start, quick boil soups are soups that you typically can make under 30 minutes of boil, with 10-15 mins of prep time and is ready for immediate consumption. Basically, you either have limited time or your stomach is demanding something quick.
Here are some common ingredients used in quick boil Chinese soups:
- Melons make great quick boil candidates (winter melon, bitter melon, fuzzy melon, even watermelon and honey dew can be used!).
- Fresh leafy greens such as bak choy, choy sum, napa cabbage are easy editions. Leafy vegetables tend to fare better in quick boil soups rather than old fire (or double-boiled soups).
- Those great (smelly) dried Chinese seafood you find at the wet mart or Chinese herbalists are excellent! These include dried scallops (or conpoys), snails, conch, octopus, squid (cuttlefish), shrimp and whatever else you can find are excellent flavour enhancers when needed on such short notice.
- Dried Chinese vegetables such as Chinese mushrooms, monkey head mushrooms, and dried bak choy are also great quick boil additions! You’ll just need to soak the first thing you do if you’re preparing this soup.
- Ready to go meats such as preserved Chinese Ham, cooked beef, fish, cuttlefish balls that are ready-to-serve or even any leftover meats such as pork ribs, steamed pork patty, chicken wings can be thrown into a quick boil.
- Tofu! Tofu is a delight to add to quick boil soups. Tofu balls, large tofu chunks, ready-to-serve-tofu, tofu slices, however you can find them – you can definitely use them! A great vegetarian protein addition.
- Easy meats such as fresh chicken wings, drumsticks, breasts, or sliced beef are good – you can even use frozen ones and use room temperature water to thaw quickly by soaking them in the water and changing the water a few times.
Here are also a few tips and tricks I’ve used for quick boil soups. Actually, I’d almost say they are critical to the success of the soup because you’ve got one constraint against you – time.
- Use small cuts for everything – small cubes are best, especially for melons and vegetables such as carrots. Or go thin, like 2 cm thin slices of carrots, radish, mushrooms, etc..
- Shuck corn if you like the corn separate, this will cook way faster. You can also use the cobs as part of the soup base.
- Cut meats into smaller bite-sized pieces as well – they will also cook faster and as the water boils, it will release the flavours from more parts quicker.
- Broths are your friends. If you need to enhance flavours, use chicken, beef or vegetable broth to boost the taste of the soup. Be sure to use MSG free ones.
- Consider using the soup to help boil other parts of your dinner. For example, I will use the soup to boil broccoli for the children or choy sum for us. It’s a win-win situation!
- If you’d like the soup to last a few days, you can definitely store leftovers in the fridge to be reheated up to 2-3 days later. I like making a bigger batch so I can consume later as to economize my efforts.
Try any of these quick boil soup recipes
Easy One Pot Cabbage and Sukiyaki Pork in Soup for Dinner
Winter Melon with Chicken and Mushrooms Rice Soup
Soup Name: Winter Melon with Chicken and Mushrooms Rice Soup Chinese Name: 冬瓜雞湯飯 (dōng guā jī tāng fàn) For more videos, visit us on YouTube.Sometimes, you just want something simple, something warm, something soupy, but all-in-one. There's a concept called...
Snow Pears and Chen Pi (Tangerine Peels) for Coughs and Congestion
Soup Name: Recovery Healing Soup (for Wet Coughs, clearing phlegm and congestion) Chinese Name: 雪梨化痰茶 (xuě lí huà tán chá) This tea is slightly cooling in nature and sweet to taste. For more videos, visit us on YouTube.It seems that time of year again! The...
Fragrant Pork and Cabbage Quick Boil Chinese Soup
Soup Name: Fragrant Pork and Cabbage Quick Boil Chinese SoupFor more videos, visit us on YouTube.No time? Cost saving? Want something quick? I've been making these quick boil Chinese soups for awhile now! You can still make healthy and delicious soups without that...
Chinese Winter Melon and Parma Ham Stew
Soup Name: Chinese Winter melon and Ham Stew Traditional Chinese Name: For more videos, visit us on YouTube.I was inspired to make this soup one day when I walked by the wet mart and saw the vendor carving up this giant fresh winter melon and I thought,...
Fish Maw Chicken Egg Drop Soup
Soup Name: Fish Maw Chicken Egg Drop Soup Traditional Chinese Name: For more videos, visit us on YouTube.In the Chinese repertoire of soups, there's a type of soup called a "gung" (羹) in Cantonese. These soups are traditionally thickened with corn...
Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup
I love soups. I particularly do love sour soups as an appetizer because they really bring out my appetite! I know sour soups aren’t for all taste buds, but here’s a simple one you can make at home with fresh ingredients. You can always adjust the sourness (and even...
Bitter Melon Soup with Corn and Pork Meatballs
Soup Name: Bitter Melon with Corn and Pork Meatballs Soup Traditional Chinese Name: 簡單菜湯 (Jiǎn dān cài tāng) For videos, visit us on YouTube.I made this after work one day and managed to pick up fresh veggies and meat from the wet mart on the way home. Sometimes...
Quick Boil Pumpkin and Corn Vegetarian Soup
Soup Name: Quick Boil Pumpkin and Corn Vegetarian Soup Traditional Chinese Name: 簡單菜湯 (Jiǎn dān cài tāng)What started as a simple vegetable soup, turned into an interesting mix of hot and cold vegetables because I could! The children had the soup warm, served with...
Vegetarian Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes and Corn Broth with Orzo
Soup Name: Vegetarian Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes and Corn Broth with Orzo For more videos, visit us on YouTube. I know, the orzo doesn’t make it very Chinese, but my family loves small-sized pasta that I decided to turn this soup into a solid meal for the...
Snow Pear and Dragon’s Eye Sweet Dessert Soup
Soup Name: Snow Pear and Dragon's Eye Sweet Dessert SoupOne day, in the thick of a winter evening, when all the children lay sleeping, I suddenly had this urge for something sweet, crunchy and hot. No panic. Taking a peek in the fridge, I found one giant snow pear...
Quick Boil Winter Melon, Mushrooms with Corn in Chicken Broth
Soup Name: Quick Boil Winter Melon, Mushrooms with Corn in Chicken Broth Traditional Chinese Name: 冬瓜冬菇 玉米 雞熬湯(dōng guā dōng gū yù mǐ jī ao tāng) Nature of soup: Slightly cooling (primarily from the winter melon)This is the start of the “Quick Boil Series” of...
Simple Vegetable Soup for Children
Soup Name: Simple Vegetable Soup for Children Traditional Chinese Name: 簡單菜湯 (Jiǎn dān cài tāng) At the last minute, I needed to stay home and make dinner - so while scrounging through my staple supplies of groceries, I found 3 simple ingredients to whip up a...
Tomato Fish Soup
Soup Name: Tomato Fish Soup Traditional Chinese Name: 番茄魚湯 (fān qié yú tāng) This soup is slightly sweet and sour and neutral in nature.For more videos, visit us on YouTube.Tomatoes are the ideal partner in fish soups. It helps alleviate some of the fishy scent as...