Ingredient Name: Walnuts
Traditional Chinese Name: 核桃 (Hétáo)
- The edible seed of any tree in the genus Julgans (tree nut family)
- The edible portions are found inside a very hard, brown seed with a very hard external shell
- The walnut is brownish-white in color and hard in texture with a white skin (that is often bitter)
- This nut is commonly found in Chinese soups, dishes and desserts
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water before usage
- Avoid using walnuts that are pre-salted or roasted
Where can I buy this?
- Fresh walnuts can be purchased in supermarkets
- Dried walnuts are also available in supermarkets or at herbalists
- This is a readily available ingredient
What is the cost?
- This is not an expensive ingredient and the price varies depending on preparation and packaging
- Walnuts are excellent source of protein, nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids
- They have a healthy source of antioxidants which help reduce or slow aging
- Walnuts are a good source of Calcium, Zinc and Iron
- Excellent in the prevention of heart disease
- If a walnut has molded, this mold will release dangerous aflatoxins and should not be used for consumption
- Be sure to purchase walnuts from a reputable source
- Store in a dry and cold place as walnuts can spoil easily