Coconut and Lotus Seeds in Chicken Soup
Soup Name: Coconut and Lotus Seeds in Chicken Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 椰子蓮子雞湯 (yē zi lián zi jī tāng)
A mildly sweet and smooth chicken soup that is refreshing and easy to drink. I love eating the coconuts threads and the kids love it too.
What Ingredients are required?
1 chicken (whole)
20 dried lotus seeds
salt to taste
How do I prepare it?
- Start boiling your soup water
- Rinse lotus seeds in warm water
- Prepare the chicken (see chicken for preparation steps)
- In a separate pot, boil water to blanch the chicken
- Pre-boil chicken, strain and add chicken to the boiling water of your soup
- Open coconut and slice into thin strips (keeping the skin is optional, but it’s quite a bit of work to remove the skin)
- Add lotus seeds and coconut to the soup
- Boil on high for 30 minutes and reduce to low heat for another 2.5 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
- As this is a minimalist soup, some may prefer to add a bit of salt (my recommendation – in moderation)
- This soup is rich in proteins and helps nourish the lungs
- The soup is low in fat (remember to remove all the oil on the surface of the soup) and sodium
- Try not to eat too much coconut. The meat is high in saturated fats and eating too much may give you a tummy ache because it’s relatively hard to digest, although it’s great for constipation!