Soup Name: Gobo in Pork Bone Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 清牛蒡豬骨湯 (qīng niúbàng zhū gǔ tāng)
A naturally sweet and delicious soup with minimal ingredients. It is a neutral soup that has many benefits (see below) and is very easy to make.
1 pound of fresh pork bones
6-7 gobo or greater burdock roots (each approximately 1″ in length)
4 honey dates
4-5 dried scallops (conpoys)
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it
- Blanch fresh pork bones in a pot of boiling water
- Boil your soup water
- Wash, peel and cut gobo into edible sizes
- Rinse honey dates and dried scallops in warm water
- Once soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes, reduce to a simmer for another 1 hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- High amounts of calcium, potassium, iron and amino acids
- Soup helps promote bowel movements and urination to eliminate toxins
- Helps reduce blood sugar, fat and blood pressure
- Ensure gobo is purchased from a reputable source
Ingredient Name: Gobo root, Gobo, Greater burdock, Edible burdock
Traditional Chinese Name: 牛蒡 (niúbàng)
What is this?
- The root of a of the greater burdock plant family that is mainly cultivated for its root and is considered a vegetable
- The roots are brown and roughly 1-2 inches in diameter and can grow up to 1 meter in length
- It has a white, slightly brown flesh that is crunchy in texture
- Most commonly found in Japanese cuisine and specifically in Chinese medicine
- It is sweet to taste and adds a wonderful flavor to soups
- Can be used fried, raw, processed or made into a drink
How do I prepare it?
Where can I buy this?
What is the cost?
- 5-6 foot long pieces cost around $5 CAD
- Some burdocks resemble another plant called nightshade and contamination may occur
- Be sure to buy burdocks from a reputable source
Any additional information?
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Can store up to 5 days in a refrigerated environment