Ingredient Name: Spica prunellae, prunella spike, prunellae spike, fruit spike, self heal fruit spike
Traditional Chinese Name: 夏枯草 (xià kūcǎo)
What is this?
- The sun-dried and withered spikes of a perennial herb called Prunella Vulgaris plant (purple in color when bloomed)
- Cultivated and grown mainly in China
- Extremely common in heat-reducing drinks
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water
- Add directly to soups or drinks
- For drinks, use a strainer to separate as the plant sometimes disintegrates into little pieces
Where can I buy this?
- Available in wet marts in Hong Kong
- Available in herbalist shops
- Often sold in packages with other ingredients (for ease of boiling)
What is the cost?
- Very affordable
- 50 g cost around $5 HKD (large bunch)
- Helps lower blood pressure
- It is a cooling food and assists in reducing heatiness and symptoms associated with heatiness
- Can aid in phlegm reduction and reduces swelling
- Extremely cooling ingredient so menstruating and pregnant women (earlier than 3 months) take caution