Soup Name: Dried and Fresh Bok Choy in Pork Broth
Traditional Chinese Name: 菜乾白菜湯 (cài gān bái cài tāng)
Amount serves: 5-6 large soup bowls (around 300 mL each)
What Ingredients are required?
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Blanch the pork shank in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Soak the dried bok choy in warm water for 15 minutes
- Rinse the dried bok choy in running water 2-3 times (to remove the dried bugs that get embedded during the curing process)
- Boil you soup water
- When the water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for about 30 minutes and set to medium boil (covered) for another hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- Help relieve heatiness in the body
- Helps cool the body in the hot days
- This soup is beneficial to help moisten, heal and cleanse the lungs
- It’s a good base soup (to add carrots and corn and other vegetables)
- You can use any combination of the bok choys (if you have more dried, use dried or if you can’t find any fresh bok choy)
- Excellent high fiber soup and low in fat and calories
- Both dried and fresh bok choy are high in Vitamin C and rich in antioxidants (which help prevent and slow the aging process)
- Not ideal for those in confinement or the first trimester of their pregnancy (as the soup is cooling and can cause contractions)
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse both the dried and fresh bok choy (to remove pesticides, dirt and bugs)