Ingredient Name: Night Blooming Cereus, Cereus
Traditional Chinese Name: 霸王花 (bà wáng huā)
What is this?
- The dried plant known to bloom at night
- There are many species that belong in this category, but specifically one that is used in Chinese medicine and soups
- It blooms with white flowers (roughly 7-8 inches in diameter) with many petals and blooms for a few hours before dying
- Extremely fragrant flower once bloomed
- The flower is grown both in homes and in batches for soup/medicinal consumption
- The dried plant is tasteless
How do I prepare it?
- Soak in water for at least an hour, rinsing several times to remove all the bugs (mainly ants)
Where can I buy this?
- Most Asian supermarkets and herbalists will carry this product dried in packages
What is the cost
- 1 pack will cost around $20 HKD (about 5-6 flowers)
- Excellent for nourishing and detoxifying the lungs
- Helps moisturize and lubricate the lungs
- Helps eliminate pathological heat and fire in the body and cool it down
- Soak in water for at least an hour – large cultivated batches of this plant will have many bugs, so be sure to wash thoroughly
- Mildly cooling ingredient (take with caution if in the first trimester of pregnancy or menstruating)
- Avoid this ingredient is you have hypertension
- You can store this ingredient in a tight sealed container in a dry place for up to 6 months