Ingredient Name: Black eye beans or black-eyed peas
Traditional Chinese Name: 眉豆(méi dou)
What is this?
- A bean which has multiple varieties due to its ease of cultivation
- Used in multi-cultural dishes around the world
- Grown in many countries in Asia, it is a common staple in many dishes and soups
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse before use and put directly into your soup
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most supermarkets (Asian and Western)
What is the cost
- Very affordable with a handful costing around $5-6 HKD
- Excellent source of soluble fibre which can help eliminate cholesterol from the body
- Low in fat and high in protein
- High-potassium and low in sodium
- Helps eliminate excess moisture from the body
- For dried beans, be sure to thoroughly soak and cook as uncooked beans can cause indigestion