Ingredient Name: Lucid Asparagus Root, Asparagus Root, Radix Asparagi, Cochinchinese Asparagus Root
Traditional Chinese Name: 天門冬, 天冬 (Tiānmén dōng, Tiān dōng)
What is this?
- The roots of wild asparagus that are collected in usually in Northern China or Korea
- The roots are washed and dried, but remain moist and “supple-looking” (as pictured above)
- When dried, it is a yellowish in colour and chewy
- The asparagus root grows from 1-3 cm in length and can be found either in a round shape or flat, long shape (as it’s been sliced)
- Traditional Chinese herb that taste slightly sweet and bitter at the same time
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water and use in soups
Where can I buy this?
- Available in Chinese herb stores
- Not commonly available in supermarkets or wet marts
- This is a hard to find herb
What is the cost?
- 10 pieces cost roughly $10 HKD
- Considered an important lung tonic
- It helps moisten and purify the lungs
- Extremely beneficial to those who are exposed to smoke, smog or pollution
- Improves respiratory functions
- It is considered a cooling ingredient and should be taken with precaution and moderation in early pregnancies