Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup Dessert
Chinese Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup Dessert
Traditional Chinese Name:
蕃薯糖水 (gān shǔ táng shuǐ)
For more videos, you can follow us on YouTube.
This sweet dessert is traditional to Hong Kong and the Chinese. Literally, in Cantonese it means “Sweet Potato Sugar Water”. The simplest form of it is found here, although variations can have different herbs and ingredients that make it far more unique. It is a warm and heaty dessert (especially if you use more ginger) and said to be extremely nourishing and helps removes toxins. I enjoy this dessert all year round and my children especially love it. Keep the sugar and ginger content low if intended for children.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Serves: 6 bowls
- Start boiling your soup water
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized cubes
- Slice ginger thinly (with or without skin)
- Add all ingredients to boiling water
- Boil until sweet potatoes are soft. I will use a chopstick to poke them, usually around 15 minutes on high heat will suffice.
- Serve and enjoy!