Soup Name: Snow Pears and Apples in Chicken Broth
Traditional Chinese Name:蘋果雪梨雞湯 (píng guǒ xuě lí jī tāng)
This naturally sweet soup is great in lowering “heatiness” in the body. It’s not overly cooling, but does help soothe sore throats, sun stroke (& dehydration), and cool down that fiery feeling in your body when you eat too many fried and spicy foods. It’s great for kids, is super easy to make and the ingredients are readily available.
What ingredients are required?
How do I prepare it?
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Rinse and soak in warm water the dried dates and apricot kernals for 10 minutes
- Blanch the chicken in a separate pot of boiling water
- Wash the snow pears and apples, halve and core
- Add all the ingredients to boiling water
- Boil on high for thirty minutes and reduce to a medium boil for an hour
- Serve and enjoy
- Snow pears are cooling and help in nourishing the lungs and cooling the heart
- This soup is ideal for the summer months
- It helps relieve heatiness and conditions such as sore and dry throats or heated bodies from consumption of fried and spicy foods
- Snow pears are mildly “cooling” so people who sensitive to cooling soups should caution
- The chicken itself is quite fatty, so use an oil scooper to remove the fat and oil