Traditional Chinese Name:
雪耳 (xuě ěr)
For more videos, visit us on YouTube.
What is it?
- Snow fungus is also known as white tree ear fungus and silver ear
- Similar to wood ear, but white and translucent
- Good quality snow fungus is a pale, yellow-white colour
- Snow fungus is tasteless and, when cooked, it becomes a jelly-like substance
- It is used and known for its numerous medicinal qualities
How do I prepare it?
Wash and soak dried snow fungus in cold water for 20 – 30 minutes or until soft
- Cut into smaller pieces before adding to your soup
- The middle of the fungus is usually quite hard, some people will prefer to use only the softer edges
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase snow fungus in most Asian supermarkets
- Snow fungus is also available in Chinese speciality stores (pharmacies) and sold in bulk
What is the cost?
- The cost of snow fungus varies depending on where you buy it and on the quality of the fungus you buy.
- Snow fungus provides iron, vitamin C, calcium and phosphorous
- In Western herbology, snow fungus is considered an immune stimulant that fights infection, especially chronic infections. It has demonstrated anti-tumor activities, protects the liver and fights inflamation
- In Chinese medicine, snow fungus is said to nourish the lungs, heal dry cough, and remove heatiness from the lung
- When used with rock sugar (in Chinese desserts), it can also stimulate the colon and serve as a mild laxative for constipation
- Some believe eating snow fungus will help women eliminate freckles from their complexion and slow the aging process
- Be sure to purchase snow fungus from a reputable source
- Snow fungus can keep very well and can be stored for up to 12 months in a sealed container in the fridge