Ingredient Name: Smilax Root, Greenbriers Root, Toe Folk Ling, Rhizoma Smilacis Glabrae
Traditional Chinese Name: 土茯苓(tǔ fú líng)
What is this?
- The root of a climbing flowering plant that produces small berries
- Extremely resilent plant that usually growns in shrub shapes and climbs on to other trees or surfaces
- The plant grows in tropic and subtropic areas
- In China alone, there are 80 different types of smilaxes
- Used in various Chinese soups and dishes (such as Gwei Ling Go “The Tortoise Jelly”)
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse with warm water and blanch in boiling water before use
- Cut into large cubes to soups
Where can I buy this?
- This is available in most Asian supermarkets
- Can be purchased both fresh and frozen
- Also available in dried form in Asian Herbal stores and sold in sliced pieces
What is the cost
- A bag of 15 large pieces of $20 HKD
- Excellent for treatment of gout
- It is said to help with extraction of excess phlegm and dry throat
- Must be blanched before usage