Soup Name: Red Lingzhi Lung Nourishing Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 赤芝化痰潤肺湯 (Chì zhī huà tán rùn fèi tāng)
A great soup for nourishing lungs and expelling phlegm, it is ideal for people who have a cough, asthma, breathing conditions or simply want to give their lungs a boost. I find that every once in a while this soup is great for Hong Kong or city dwellers because of the infinite air pollution.
What Ingredients are required?
1 pound of fresh pork shank
4-5 large dried dates
5-6 slices of dried red lingzhi
5 pieces of dried hawthorn
1 palm solomon’s seal (dried)
5 pieces of lucid asparagus root (dried)
15 pieces of euryale or fox nut
1 tablespoon (20 g) of black glutinous rice
1 tablespoon (5 g) of malt
50 g black eye beans
1 dried tangerine peel
1 teaspoon of salt (for marinating pork)
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Marinate pork in salt overnight (to expel the fire in the pork)
- Boil your soup water
- In a separate pot, boil water to blanch your pork
- Wash and rinse all dried ingredients in warm water
- When your soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes, reduce to a medium boil for another 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Helps with cough symptoms
- Expels phlegm
- Assist with nourishing and bringing moisture to lungs
- Use Chinese herbs in precaution (in minimal amounts if serving children)