Soup Name: Sweet Potato, Corn and Chinese Yam in Fish Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 蕃薯玉米魚湯 (gān shǔ yù mǐ yú tāng)
This simple and slightly sweet soup is really ideal for kids and children. I originally made this as a base for a lunch (consisting of fish balls and macaroni) and the kids loved it! Soups are so diverse in that you can use it as a base for stews, congee, noodles and other Chinese dishes. Keeping it simple will allow you to diversify your “final” dish and get really creative!
What Ingredients are required?
2-3 fresh Grass Carp fillets, chunked
5 slices of fresh ginger
3 foot long pieces of Chinese Yam, peeling is optional, quartered
3 fresh corn, quartered
3 large sweet potatoes, halved
2-3 L of water
salt to taste (optional)
How do I prepare it?
- In a shallow pan, fry the fish with the ginger until the meat is cooked and the edges are slightly crispy
- When cooked, set aside to cool
- Prepare vegetables and take caution with the Chinese Yam (wear gloves or keep the skin on)
- Boil your soup water
- When the water boils, add all the ingredients together and boil on high for thirty minutes
- Reduce heat to simmer for another thirty minutes
- Salt to taste if needed, but try it first
- Serve and enjoy!
- This soup serves as a great base for noodles or macaroni
- It is very low in fat
- A neutral soup that is ideal for the whole family
- All the ingredients can be consumed
- Be careful of bones on the fish fillet if eating as a meal
use pumpkin or sweet potatoes?
Dear Christie, thank you for the catch. Sweet potatoes 🙂 Although pumpkins would also be a great combination. Lisa