Ingredient Name: Potatoes
Traditional Chinese Name: 土豆 (tudou)
What is this?
- Potatoes are the fourth most popular crop in the world
- They are very starchy and are usually cooked before eating
- The best potatoes to use in soups are round red potatoes, round white potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
- Despite their reputation, potatoes can be a low calorie and high fiber addition to any diet
- Potatoes are not common in Chinese soups, but are occasionally added as part of the vegetable component of soups
How do I prepare it?
- Wash potatoes with cool water, peel the skin, and cut into large pieces for soups
Where can I buy this?
- You can buy potatoes from any supermarket
What is the cost?
- Potatoes are very affordable
- are high in vitamin C
- offer protection against colon cancer
- improve glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity
- lower plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentration