Soup Name: Pork Shank with Chayote, Carrots and Corn Soup
This slightly sweet, neutral soup is excellent for children. With its heavy hitter list of vegetables and starch sources, this soup can serve as a meal. This is one of my favourites soups to make and the children love it. They often eat the corn once its been cooled and it is low in fat. In addition, there are no added Chinese herbs (although you can add dates if you wish) and this soup is as natural as it gets. Also an excellent soup for pregnant women.
1 pound of fresh pork shank
3-4 fresh chayotes
2 large carrots
2-3 fresh corn
2-3 L of water
1 teaspoon of salt (to marinate the pork)
How do I prepare it?
- Pre-marinate the pork shank overnight with the salt (although this step is not necessary)
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Blanch the pork in a separate pot of boiling water
- Wash chayotes, carrots and corn and cut into large pieces
- Add all the ingredients to boiling water
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes
- Reduce to a simmer for at least 2 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
- This neutral soup is ideal for all drinkers (even children)
- None since there are additives of herbs