Soup Name: Papaya, Snow Fungus and Red Dates in Pork Broth
Traditional Chinese Name: 木瓜雪耳豬展湯 (mù gua xuě ěr zhū zhǎn tāng)
This is an easy to make, nutritious soup that is packed full of Vitamin C and beta-carotene. It is deliciously sweet and refreshing and ideal for autumn or winter days. You can use chicken to make it more warm and also add a variety of other ingredients to make it a meal.
What ingredients are required?
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse and soak dried snow fungus in a bowl of enough water to immerse it in for about an hour (or until soft)
- In a separate pot of boiling water, blanch pork shank for 5 minutes, set aside and cool
- Boil your soup water
- Wash and cut papaya into large edible cubes
- Using scissors, cut out the middle of the snow fungus (the hardest part) and cut the other portions into edibles pieces
- When your soup water boils, add pork shank, snow fungus, papaya and dates
- Boil on high for 30 minutes and reduce to medium heat for another hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent source of vitamin A, C and beta-carotene
- Excellent source of collagen (from the snow fungus)
- Not too much fat since pork shank is being used
- Be sure to buy snow fungus from a reputable source
- The longer you boil the now fungus, the thicker the soup gets (because the collagen like substance slowly dissolves into the soup), this is really according to preference