Soup Name: Oxtail and vegetable soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 牛尾湯 (niu wei tāng)
This healthy and hearty soup is perfect during cold winter months and is a (low carb) meal all by itself.
It contains no chinese herbs or additives and is very easy to make with fresh local market ingredients. Change up the vegetables based on fresh local produce and create your own soup with your personal favourites.
It is best eaten after it has been boiled for a long time (2 hours) or when the beef is tender and falling off the bones and the onions have melted into the soup.
What Ingredients are required?
- Start boiling your water soup
- In a separate pot, blanch the oxtail and strain it to remove any dirt and debris from the blanching
- Add the oxtail to the boiling water of your soup
- Wash all the vegetables
- Peel the onion, carrots, and potatoes
- Chop all vegetables into large chunks
- In a shallow pan, fry the potatos and onions until the edges are crispy (optional step, but it brings out the flavours of the vegetables when cooked in the soup)
- All everything into the boiling water of your soup
- Boil together for at least 60-90 minutes on high heat. The longer you boil it, the tastier the soup. It is best eaten with the beef is falling off the bones.
- This soup is highly nutritious and derives its benefits from the ingredients used.
- Oxtail is not considered a lean cut of beef. You may choose to use a strainer to remove the top layer of fat from the soup and to remove fat from the beef before eating. Or just eat in moderation.