Soup Name: Old Cucumber Soup with Azuki Beans and Lentil
Traditional Chinese Name: 老黃瓜赤小豆扁豆湯 (lǎo huáng guā chì xiǎo dòu biǎn dòu tāng)
This old cucumber soup is a Chinese classic that is ideal for the wet and stuffy spring season. It helps eliminate body moisture and heat and has a diuretic effect on the body. The lentil and beans are great consumption protein for children and it is healthy to drink for the whole family. I particularly like the sweet, clean flavour of the soup that the old cucumber brings.
What Ingredients are required?
1 medium-sized old cucumber
1 pound of fresh pork bones
80g of azuki beans
80g of lentil
3-4 large dried dates
1 piece of dried tangerine peel
2-3 L of water
1-2 teaspoons of salt
How do I prepare it?
- Pre-marinate the pork with the salt and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight is best)
- Rinse and then soak the azuki beans, lentil and tangerine peel for at least 30 minutes
- Begin boiling your soup water
- Blanch the pork in a separate pot of boiling water
- Wash tangerine peel while scraping off seed pouches with a small knife
- Wash and peel old cucumber. Keep the skin and remove seed pouch. Cut into large cubes.
- Bring water to a boil and put all the ingredients in together. Bring to boil.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This is a neutral and healthy soup for children
- The additional protein can double as a meal if you add extra (beans and lentil combined)
- Old cucumber is effective in clearing heatiness
- This soup is great for the wet and stuffy spring season
- The combination of beans and lentil are great for removing excess moisture in the body
- It has a mild effect of reducing heatiness, although it is not a severely cooling soup
- Not recommended for people who have coughs