Soup Name: Monkey Head Mushroom and Chicken Soup
Chinese Name: 猴頭菇雞湯 (hóu tóu gū jī tāng)
Fresh monkey head mushrooms are a seasonal buy so you can imagine that when they are available, the veggie vendors all recommend this product. It is an extremely versatile product in that you can use it with a variety of vegetables, meats and additives. It is commonly found as a dried product for soup usage as well. This soup is very sweet, hearty and rich in natural ingredients that it is ideal for the whole family. Fresh monkey head mushrooms absorb the flavors of the ingredients and are a chewy, soft addition to the soup.
What Ingredients are required?
- 1 chicken (whole), skinned and quartered
- 10 pieces of yu zhu or solomon’s seal
- 1 tablespoon of wolfberries
- 2 dried whole monkey head mushrooms, quartered
- 2 whole fresh corn, halved
- 2 whole fresh carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 whole fresh chayotes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Start boiling your soup water
- In a separate smaller pot, boil some water and when the water boils, blanch your chicken
- Rinse in warm water the wolfberries, yu zhu and monkey head mushrooms
- Wash and cut the corn, carrots and chayotes
- When your soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to a simmer for another hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent soup for the lungs to help relieve cough
- Helps moisten the lungs and throat
- This soup is said to help strengthen the lungs
- Mushrooms can irritate people with gout conditions, so take precaution when consuming
- Be sure to buy dried mushrooms from a reputable source