Making Chinese Soup in a Rice Cooker! Trying ABC Chinese Soup!
ABC Chinese Soup (in a Rice Cooker!)
Traditional Chinese Name:
ABC湯 (ABC tāng). The easiest name in the Cantonese repertoire for ABC vegetable soup is 雜菜湯 (zá cài tāng), which literally translates to mixed vegetable soup.
For more videos, you can follow us on YouTube.
I NEEDED TO KNOW! LOL.
I see so many cool recipes on TikTok and Instagram these days about using rice cookers, so I really wanted to test this out with some of the Chinese soups I make in a normal pot.
The thinking was to start easy. Simple ingredients. Low ingredient count. Readily accessible stuff. And something that doesn’t need a longer “fire” boil.
And everyone loves ABC soup!
See my verdict below!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 mins (using the softer cook setting)
Total time: 70 mins
Serves: 2-3 bowls
- Cut your pork ribs into small pieces
- Peel and slice your 1 carrot into thin slices (half an inch thick)
- Peel and slice your 1 potato into thin slices (half an inch thick)
- Slice half a corn into thin pieces
- In your rice cooker, I put the meats on the bottom and then layer in the vegetables, putting the herbs on top last and then the inch of salt
- Add in enough water to fill to the maximum water line of the rice cooker
- Close and select a cook option that is the longest (ie: softer rice, congee, etc..). Mine was 60 minutes.
- Once done cooking, you can use an oil scooper to remove the excess fat and bone bits. Serve and enjoy!
This was a HUGE YES for me! And I mean, SUCCESS!
I actually brought the whole rice cooker to my parents’ house for the 3 of us to enjoy and they were surprised how easy it was and how delicious it was. Truly, amazing and convenient technology at our fingertips!