Ingredient Name: Lentils
Chinese Name: 扁豆 (biǎn dòu)
What is this?
- Seeds of the lentil plant – which normally grow to about 15 inches in height
- Lentil seeds are found and grown in pods
- One of the most ideal foods for vegetarians and has been a staple diet in most Indian cuisine
- There are over 10 different types of lentils available – with varying colours and sizes of seeds
- Lentils are often used to prepare soups and dishes all over the world
How do I prepare it?
- Lentils bought at supermarkets are prepackaged for soups normally have their husks removed
- Rinse the lentils in warm water and soak for 10 minutes
- Add directly to boiling water of your soup
Where can I buy this?
- In most supermarkets, lentils are available in a variety of form and packaging
- You can also purchase lentils at speciality asian stores in bulk
What is the cost?
- A portion of 80g of lentils cost around $2 HKD
- Lentils contai 26% protein and are highly nutritious and filling
- Lentils are also the best source of iron as a vegetable at 60% by weight
- They are also high in dietary fibre, Fibre, Vitamin B1 and minerals
- The lentil plant is very prone to a variety of diseases, viruses and parasites
- Be sure to purchase your lentil from a reputatble source
- Store dried lentil seeds in a dry and non-humid area
- They can store up for 6 months in this condition