Ladies’ Monthly Tea
Herbal Tea Name: Ladies’ Monthly Tea
Traditional Chinese Name: 女性恩物湯 (nǚ xìng ēn wù tāng)
This herbal tea is warming in nature and bitter to taste.
For more videos on soups and teas, you can follow us on YouTube.
My herbalist recommended this “special ladies’ drink” or tea because I complained about an irregular period and serious cramps (almost death like). He’s suggested to make this drink in small portions, once a month and drink one cup a few days before my expected start days to help relieve the cramping, calm the body, and eliminate the wetness and then one more cup after the end of the period. Drink this for about 3 months and then see what happens. This is probably one of the more medicinal drinks I have posted and made and to be honest, it smells and tastes as bad as it looks. It’s quite bitter (and he did say to absolutely not add sugar – as it’s not needed) and has a very unique aftertaste.
A lot of the ingredients listed here provide a few things:
- They are primarily on the warming scale in nature
- These ingredients support both blood replenishment (and Qi)
- They help dispel wind, remove dampness from the body, and eliminate toxins
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 65 mins
Serves: 1 cup (for you!)
- Soak all ingredients in warm water for ten minutes
- In a pot of 1.5 cups of boiling water, throw all the ingredients in together and cover
- Boil for an hour (while keeping it covered)
- This should make about 1 cups worth (for you and only you!)
- Serve warm and enjoy (as it is not recommended during menstruation cycles to drink cold things
Herbal teas is an amazing category of Chinese drinks that are more purposeful and intentional in its creation and consumption. They aren’t always medicinal and have some more common ingredients that we always drink because they taste so good!