Ingredient Name: Creeping Liriope Root Tuber, Ophiopogon japonicus tuber, fountain plant root, monkey grass root
Traditional Chinese Name: 麥冬 (mài dōng)
- The dried root of the orphiopogon japonicus plant (which is a native plant to Japan)
- The dried tubers are slightly translucent in color and beige when processed and often 1.5-3 cm in length with varying thicknesses
- They are usually extracted in the summer, cleaned and dried
- A known and common Chinese herb (medicine) that is considered cool, sweet and slightly bitter in taste
- Excellent for removing heatiness from the body and targets the heart, spleen, stomach and lungs
- Can be used in porridge, soups, medicinal drinks, and creams
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water before usage to ensure all dirt and soil is removed
Where can I buy this?
- Most herbal shops will carry this
- Wet marts in Hong Kong will also sometimes carry this
What is the cost?
- Relatively affordable
- Excellent for reducing heatiness in the body and clearing toxins
- Ideal for soup and drink compositions that remove fire from the body
- Great for healing the throat and lungs and provides benefits to these bodily functions (ie: sore throats, coughing)
- Nourishes the Yin
- Helps remove excess phlegm
- Assists with constipation
- As it is mild cooling, pregnant women in their first trimester should take caution as cooling ingredients can cause contractions
- Has a distinct pungent smell
Any additional information?
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Good for use up to 6 months