Soup Name: Corn, Pumpkin and Carrots in Fish Broth
Traditional Chinese Name: 玉米南瓜紅蘿蔔湯 (yù mǐ nán guā hóng luóbo tāng)
A natural soup with no Chinese additives or herbs, it is sweet, packed with beta-carotene and eats like a meal. I tend to add more corn and pumpkin because the children eat these vegetables and the fish base soup is low in fat and extremely healthy. You can use a variety of fish (whatever is seasonally fresh is best) and it takes about an hour to make. A neutral soup ideal for the whole family!
What Ingredients are required?
1 teaspoon of salt (for marinating fish)
1 tablespoon of oil
2 slices of ginger, peeled
2-3 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Add chestnuts to cold water (complete submerged) and boil on high heat for 10 minutes
- Once cooked, set aside to cool
- Start boiling your soup water
- Clean fish and wipe the fish with paper towels or a cloth to remove excess water
- Cover the fish with a small amount of salt (inside and out)
- Let it sit for an hour and then drain any water
- In a pan, add oil and fry the ginger with the fish on low-medium heat (until the fish is completely cooked and the skin is a slightly browned)
- Put the fish into a soup bag
- Add fish bag to boiling soup
- Peel the chestnuts while still warm, removing both the outer and inner skins
- Wash and chop all ingredients (pumpkin is both OK with or without skin)
- Add carrots, pumpkin, corn and chestnuts to soup
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes, reduce to a medium boil for another 30 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
- Soup extremely high in Vitamin A, C, and beta-carotene
- 100% natural ingredients ideal for children and pregnancies
- Low in fat
- Be sure to use a soup bag to contain all the disintegrated fish parts (especially the bones)