Soup Name: Chinese Yam with Apples and Corn in Chicken Broth (with Ginger)
Traditional Chinese Name: 蘋果玉米淮山雞湯 (píng guǒ yù mǐ huái shān jī tāng)
What Ingredients are required?
1 fresh whole chicken, quartered
4-5 whole apples, cored and quartered
2 fresh corn, quartered
2 fresh pieces of Chinese Yam about 1 foot in length, peeling is optional, quartered
150 g of sliced fresh ginger (for confinement purposes)
2 L of water
salt to taste
How do I prepare it?
- Clean, prepare and blanch chicken in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- Wash, prepare apples, corn and Chinese Yam
- Slice ginger thinly
- Boil your soup water, when it boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for about 30 minutes and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- With ginger, it’s a slightly warm soup, but without it, it’s neutral
- Pregnancy, confinement and child friendly
- Sweet and fresh to the taste
- Excellent source of Vitamins and hearty to eat
- For children, go easy on the ginger because that can really spice up the soup!
- Be sure to clean, peel Chinese Yam with gloves as the outer skin of the Chinese Yam can make your fingers itchy (if you opt to peel the skin)