Soup Name: Chinese Red Bean Soup Dessert, Chinese Red Bean Soup, Red Bean Dessert, Red Bean Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 紅豆沙 (hǒng dòu shā)
Amount serves: 4 servings in 250mL bowls
What Ingredients are required?
2 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Soak the red beans in warm water for about 2 hours prior to cooking (this will soften them more)
- Soak the tangerine peel for 20 minutes (or until soft). Using a butter knife, scrape off the dark outside skin until all the brown portions have washed off under running water (this will help reduce the bitterness of the soup)
- Boil your soup water
- When water boils, add everything except the glutinous rice balls
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes
- Reduce to a medium boil while covered for another hour (or until all the ingredients have softened to your liking)
- Add glutinous rice balls and boil for another 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
- Low in fat and a very tasty, healthy and protein rich sweet soup
- It serves as a good dessert base (you can add other ingredients to customize it)
- There is a good portion of fiber in the soup
- Excellent source of antioxidants, magnesium, iron, potassium and zinc
- For those who have gout, consume with caution due to the amount of red beans used
- Take caution when adding sugar to sweet soups (add less and you can always add more later if needed)