Soup Name: Chicken Broth Mushroom Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 雞菇湯 (jī gū tāng)
When I’m feeling a little lazy but still want a warm chinese soup to enjoy with my dinner, I can quickly toss the ingredients of this soup into a pot of water with minimal fuss and, 90 minutes later, have a tasty soup ready to serve! Using chinese mushrooms is an easy way to give a flavour boost to any simple, meat-based broths. As a short cut, buy pre-cut chicken pieces from your local grocery store or butcher and rinse them under cold water before use. Once I have drank the soup, I also enjoy eating the chicken meat dipped it in a little bit of soy sauce.
How do I prepare it?
- If using a whole chicken, prepare the chicken and chop into pieces
- Pre-boil chicken pieces and rinse
- In the boiling soup water, add all the ingredients together
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes
- Scoop out residual oil with an oil scooper
- Serve and enjoy!
- Chicken is a great low-fat protein. It is lower in calories, fats and saturated fats than most other meats
- Chicken is extremely dense in nutrients, including protein, zinc, iron, phosphorous, riboflavin, thiamin and niacin
- Using the whole chicken (bones and all) also include extra collagen
- Easy to make and delicious!