Soup Name: Carrot and Sweet Corn Soup with Barley and Pork Shank
What Ingredients are required?
1 pound of fresh pork shank
3 large carrots
4-5 large dried dates
8 water chestnuts
2 fresh corn
80g of raw and ripe barley
2 litres of water
1 teaspoon of salt (to marinate the pork)
How do I prepare it?
- Pre-marinate the pork overnight with the salt (although this step is not necessary)
- Boil a separate pot of water to blanch the pork shank
- Wash and chop carrots and corn
- Boil your soup water
- Wash and soak for 10 minutes the barley and honey dates
- When your soup water is boiling, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to simmer for another 3 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent source of carbohydrates
- Ideal to dispel heatiness and body moisture
- Dissolves phlegm and stimulates saliva secretion
- Precaution taken for women who are menstruating and/or less than 3 months pregnant due to the cooling effects of the water chestnuts