Soup Name: Bitter Melon and Preserved Sour Vegetable Soup (in Pork Broth)
Traditional Chinese Name: 苦瓜酸菜湯 (Kǔ guā suan cai tāng)
What Ingredients are required?
2 L of water
How do I prepare it?
- Start boiling your soup water
- Boil pork for 5 minutes in a separate pot of water to blanch it
- Drain pork and set aside
- When your soup water boils, all add the ingredients together
- Boil with a cover on medium heat for 1 hour
- Serve and enjoy!
- This soup is naturally flavored (slightly salty, sour and bitter)
- It is a refreshing soup to drink when it’s particularly hotter
- A great appetizer
- This soup aids in digestion
- The vegetarian version is to simply remove the meat and tastes just as great!
- It can be a bit cooling (due to the bitter melon), so if you’re concerned about cooling soups, take caution
- Women on menstruation or first trimester of pregnancy should avoid too cooling soups as it causes potential contractions