Soup Name: Bamboo and Water Chestnut Pork Soup
Traditional Chinese Name: 竹子馬蹄豬湯 (Zhú mati zhū tāng)
This cooling soup is not only great for spring and summer months, but is also a tasty treat thanks to the natural sweetness of the ingredients. The soft carrots, chewy bamboo and crunchy water chestnuts lend a surprising and fun blend of textures to this soup. This is a relatively light soup that is easy to make and, although slightly cooling, is great for children.
What ingredients are required?
How do I prepare it?
- Blanch your pork shank in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and set aside
- In a large pot, start boiling your soup water
- Wash and prepare the carrots, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots
- When soup water boils, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high for 30 minutes and reduce to low heat and simmer for another 2 hours
- Serve and enjoy! Salt if necessary
- Excellent source of protein and vitamins
- Easy to make soup (but only if you buy fresh bamboo. Otherwise, preparing the fresh bamboo will take some time)
- Soup is ideal for hot summers and mildly cooling to relieve heatiness in the body
- Water chestnuts are cooling and are said to relieve coughs
- Bamboo shoots are an excellent source of fiber, potassium and are high in antioxidants
- A sweet soup and great for children
- Water chestnuts are cooling and it is recommended that pregnant women take caution when consuming