Soup Name: Abalone in Chicken Soup
What Ingredients are required?
1 fresh whole chicken, prepared and quartered
1 pound of fresh pork shank (or any other pork parts for soups is suitable)
6-7 fresh small abalones (or dried)
5-6 dried scallops (conpoys)
1 handful of wolfberries
20 g of dried peanuts (for soups)
20 g of euryale or fox nuts
5 sticks of dried Chinese yam
2 litres of water
How do I prepare it?
- Prepare chicken (in quarters) by rinsing and blanching in a pot of boiling water (let it boil for about 2-3 minutes)
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Boil your pork in the same pot of boiling water as the chicken (for 2-3 minutes)
- Drain water and set aside
- Wash and clean abalone (with a toothbrush to be sure to brush off all the black residue)
- Wash and soak for 10 minutes all the dried herbs
- Boil your soup water
- When your soup water is boiling, add all the ingredients together
- Boil on high heat for 30 minutes and reduce to low boil for another 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Excellent warming soup for cold days
- Good to increase blood circulation and blood flow
- It is considered to be of the “healing” categories of soup
- If used for confinement, you can make the soup more concentrated (less water or more ingredients)
- As the whole chicken can be oily, be sure to remove all oil before serving
- Minimize herbs when used for children (above sampling suggested)
- Peanuts are also introduced in this soup, so remove or avoid giving to children as suggested with potential peanut allergies