Ingredient Name: Wood ear, cloud ear, tree ear, black fungus
Chinese Name: 木耳 (mu er)
What is this?
- An edible fungus used in Chinese and other Asian cuisines
- Wood ear is often used in stews, soups, or stir-fried with other vegetables
- It has a light, earthy flavor and a slightly crunchy, spongy texture
- When cooked with other ingredients, it is great at absorbing the flavors around it
How do I prepare it?
- Soak for at least 30 minutes in warm water (it will expand to many times it’s original size)
- Trim any tough or gritty parts off
- Rinse and it is ready for use
Where can I buy this?
- Wood ear is commonly sold dried
- It is available in Asian supermarkets
What is the cost?
- Wood ear is inexpensive to buy and cost around $11 HKD for 150g
- Wood ear is said to increase fluidity of the blood and improve circulation
- It is often made into a “tea” (boiled with water) and given to women who have recently delivered a baby to help eliminate blood from the uterus faster
- None that we know of
Pictures of dried wood ear