Ingredient Name: White Hyacinth Beans or Semen Lablab Album
Traditional Chinese Name: 白扁豆 (bái bian dòu)
What is this?
- The white hyacinth bean is the dried ripe seed of the Dolichos Lablab L plant.
- It ripens during the autumn and winter months when it is collected and dried for medicinal use
- When eaten, it tastes slightly sweet
How do I prepare it?
- Wash thoroughly and put directly into your soup.
- For softer beans (in a quick soup), you may soak the beans in room temperature water for a couple hours prior to using them in your soup
Where can I buy this?
- It is available in most Asian herb shops and some Asian supermarkets.
What is the cost?
- This ingredient is relatively inexpensive and costs less than $1 CAD for a handful of dried beans.
- The white hyacinth bean is traditionally used in Chinese medicine to invigorate the spleen and remove damp.
- It is especially beneficial during the summer months to alleviate “summer damp”.
- Consuming white hyacinth beans in excess may result in loss of appetite and diarrhea. Eating too much of this ingredient may also be unhealthy for your spleen. Eat in moderation.