Ingredient Name: rice
Traditional Chinese Name: 米 (Mǐ)
One of the most staple foods in the world can definitely be used in soups. You’d be surprised how many different ways you can use rice in soups and stews and the very popular Chinese congee. This is a definite ingredient to have at home at all times. It’s my comfort food!
What is this?
- Seed of the rice plant that is most important consumable grain source in the world
- Most commonly consumed in Asia, Middle East, Latin America and India
- Comes usually in a form of brown rice (with the husk) or white rice and can be ground into rice flour for usage in cakes, noodles, drinks or other uses
- There are over thousands of rice varieties in the world
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse well in warm water before usage
- Some rice may require soaking ahead of time
Where can I buy this?
- Most supermarkets will carry rice
What is the cost?
- Rice type, production, and breed will vary the price of rice greatly
- A good (but not complete) source of protein
- Excellent source of energy and carbohydrates
- Easy to cook and there are a variety of ways to cook and prepare rice
- A readily available ingredient
- The protein of rice isn’t sufficient as a diet and should be combined with nuts, meats and other protein supplements to ensure a balanced diet
- White rice can keep longer than brown rice
- White rice can kept in a dry, sealed container for up to 6 months