Ingredient Name: White peony root, Chinese peony, Bai shao yao, Paeonia lactiflora
Chinese Name: 白芍 (Bái sháo)
What is this?
- A commonly known traditional Chinese medicinal ingredient
- The roots of the white peony flower are collected when matured to about 3-4 years
- The white peony roots are collected, cut, boiled and dried and cut to various lengths (2-4 inches in length) before usage or distribution
- It is white/beige in color with a consistent color throughout
- It is known to address “liver” diseases and conditions
- The white peony flower is mainly grown in China
- This ingredient is considered slightly cold with properties such as bitter and sour
How do I prepare it?
- Rinse in warm water prior to use
- Add directly to soups or drinks when water boils
Where can I buy this?
- In most wet marts in Hong Kong
- Available in your Chinese herbalist or Chinese medicine store
What is the cost?
- Relatively affordable and common Chinese medicinal ingredient
- As pictured above, 5-6 sticks cost around $5-8 HKD
- Ideal in treating pain associated with menstruation and cramps
- Often treated with hot flashes when mixed with calcium (so ideal for menopause)
- Nourishes the “yin” of the body
- A cooling ingredient may contradict those with a cooler body, so take caution
- As it is a cooling ingredient, women who are pregnant in their first trimester should avoid or minimize consumption