Ingredient Name: Fresh Tofu or Bean Curd
Traditional Chinese Name: 豆腐(dòu fu)
What is this?
- Tofu is made from soybeans
- It is coagulated soy milk that is cut into blocks
- Tofu is available fresh or processed or pre-cooked
- It is a food or Chinese origin
- Tofu can be as steamed, stewed, fried, braised, fermented, made in soups and a variety of cooking methods
How do I prepare it?
- Simply remove from package, drain the tofu water and cut into cubes if used in soups
Where can I buy this?
- You can purchase fresh tofu in most Asian supermarkets
- You must purchase stiffer tofu so that when boiled in soup, it doesn’t break apart
What is the cost?
- A pack of 4 large cubes of tofu costs around $1.50 CAD
- Tofu is a low-calorie food with no saturated fat or cholesterol and is very high in protein
- It contains beneficial amounts of iron, calcium and magnesium
- Soybeans if consumed in large amounts can contribute to gout due to its high protein content
- Fresh tofu has a very short shelf life of up to 1 week
- You can smell the fresh tofu to determine whether its gone bad or not